Adding Photos

If you experience issue with the database or entering dogs please report it here.
Liliput

Adding Photos

Post by Liliput »

I was able to make some minor corrections and additions via text entries to the data base but do not understand how to upload photographs and cannot find any instructions. Suggestions appreciated.
Pertneer
Site Admin

Re: Adding Photos

Post by Pertneer »

I am sorry for the issues you may be having. The main cause for this is usually a popup blocker because adding photos is done with a javascript popup.

I added a section to the help file to walk you through the steps to upload photos to make sure there are no other issues. If you still are having issues please let me know.
Liliput

Post by Liliput »

Thanks, that solved it. By the way, this is a wonderful site and I'm sure many others besides me marvel at the amount of data available and easily searchable. You have done a good job. I can find some of my dog's ancestors well over 50 years ago and some nearly a century ago!

Do you happen to know the optimum maximum pixel size for a photo to be uploaded? Reason is to avoid processing by the site which can degrade quality of an oversized image.

Kind regards and Happy New Year.
Pertneer
Site Admin

Post by Pertneer »

Thanks for the kind words. Yes we (my wife and I) have been very busy putting in as much information as we can find. We are stunned almost everyday at how many more sites we find with information as well.

The picture size really does not matter, because when it is uploaded the software makes it the size to best viewed on the site without taking up too much room.

The oldest dog we have found is from 1906. We have also noticed that a few standard schnauzers have been breed into the line back in the early 20's or 30's.
Liliput

Post by Liliput »

I had already found Bitru! Was trying to see how far back my dog Skansen's Gullivers Travels called Lili could be traced. Bitru is back 92 years and 25 generations thusly: Gulliver > Kobold in 9 generations; Kobold > Asta in 8 more generations; Asta > Bitru in a further 8 generations. (Using 9 generation display option, entries cited in first and last columns thereof.)

It would be fun to be able to plug in Bitru's name and find out how many dogs in your data base derived from him... Reversing the normal process.

True that the software reduces size of images to fit but the actual processing technique is important. Some degrade the image quality more than others.

You will notice that on one of my images I put a URL (not a link) to Flickr and my original quality images in case anyone might be interested in those. Have a look. (There is an underscore in "giant_schnauzer".) If that is against the rules, please purge. I do not think I can do it myself.

To convey a limited amount of information, while preserving privacy, I tried to enter under Owner this:

U.K. 1998-2000; M.S. 2000-2005; H.H. 2005-2010

without success. Did not expect it would work..

Kind regards and keep up the good work in the New Year.
Pertneer
Site Admin

Post by Pertneer »

Liliput wrote: It would be fun to be able to plug in Bitru's name and find out how many dogs in your data base derived from him... Reversing the normal process.

To convey a limited amount of information, while preserving privacy, I tried to enter under Owner this:

U.K. 1998-2000; M.S. 2000-2005; H.H. 2005-2010

without success. Did not expect it would work..
I had already considered that for another form in the statistics, but not sure how to go about gathering that information.

Yes you are correct the owners name cannot use numbers as far as I remember. If privacy is a concern just do not add the information to protect those involved.